The practice was started by a Mr Wagstaff in the early years of the century, based in Church Street West, opposite Hadfields the chemist. During 1928, Wagstaff fell ill and employed Alan Wright as a locum, with Alan taking over the practice when his boss sadly died shortly afterwards.
Michael Wright was born at Church Street West in 1931. In due course, a builder's yard, burgess yard at No 38 Cumberland Street was purchased, and the present practice started its evolution. A branch practice was started in 1934, housed above a bank in the market place at Congleton. This branch moved to Chapel Street when the cattle market closed. (and subsequently from Chapel Street to Moody Street in 1981)
Donald Munro, pictured on the left of the horse, joined the practice as an assistant in 1944, working at W & M through to his retirement in 1980.
Michael joined the practice in 1956, becoming a partner in 1960. Both Alan Wright and Michael held the prestigious position of President of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.
In his later years as a vet, Michael was a claims consultant for the Veterinary Defence Association, the major legal defence-arm of the profession. He retired from general practice and the W & M partnership in 1991, continuing his career as chief claims consultant to the VDS. He retired totally in 1999.
David Morten joined the practice in 1948, and became a partner in 1974, creating the Wright & Morten partnership, Alan Wright having died in 1968.
There are more veterinary links on the Morten side. His mother, maiden name, Howe, had two unrelated cousins both of whom were vets. One practised in Bond Street, Macclesfield, and when quite young was bitten by a horse, with fatal consequences!
The practice expanded further in 1995 when we took over Nigel Middleton's Thorndale Surgery. This enlarged our small-animal clientele, and added a number of important farms to our large animal side.
The equine side of the practice has continued to expand, with a number of smaller practices and single-handed vets giving up their horse work. In 2000 we opened our equine clinic at Somerford Park Equestrian Centre.
In recent years, both John Yarwood and Mike Spicer have retired from the partnership, although John still works part time for the farm and equine practice. The present partners are, Bridget Taylor, Mark Tabachnik, Claire Phillips and Helen Murphy.