The term ‘cat friendly practice’ was formed back in 2005 by the International Society of Feline Medicine. Now the idea has grown and has come of age with a new and robust cat friendly clinic standard put together by ISFM. The Gold Award was given to us in August 2013 and now we provide cat only appointment times every Wednesday morning overseen by with our Cat Advocate Katie Erskine.
The Cat Friendly Clinic programme is a self-assessment accreditation scheme. There are certain requirements regarding design, equipment and facilities within the clinic, which must be met to achieve the standard. The clinic must also demonstrate that a high quality of care is provided to cats and that all staff understand cats and their needs in a clinic. This helps us to improve the clinical care of feline patients but may also increase the number of clients who are actively seeking a cat friendly clinic for their pet.
To achieve the standard , the following criteria must be met :
- Premises of a good clinical standard with appropriate equipment
- Staff who have a gentle, caring and empathetic approach to handling cats
- Staff who are knowledgeable about and understand cats
- A ‘Cat Advocate’ to answer any questions you have
- A cat friendly waiting room
- Ability to hospitalise cats, with comfortable bedding
- To achieve the Gold Level
Clinics must achieve all the criteria above but have additional exceptional cat facilities including:
- A hospital ward dedicated to cats
- Larger cat friendly cages for hospitalised cats
- Additional facilities and other special equipment
Our cat clinics are held every Wednesday between 11:00am and 12:10pm these appointments are held with a consulting vet. To arrange an appointment please contact the surgery on - 01625 501500.